Top Questions to Ask to Find the Best Self-Storage for Moving
When you’re moving to a new home, it’s often very convenient to just rent a self-storage unit for your belongings. This is especially true when you’re downsizing and you have furniture that can’t fit in your new place. The real question, however, is not about whether you should get a storage unit. The real issue is determining which company offers the best self-storage for moving.
To find out, take a look at your self-storage options and try to get answers for the following questions:
- Is it affordable? Self-storage units can’t really be called the best if they overcharge you for their units. There shouldn’t be any forced long-term contracts either, as you may just want to use it for a single month.
- How nice do the storage units look? The answer to this question can tell you a great deal about how professional the self-storage company works. Your best bet is if the storage units look almost new and it feels like high quality materials were used to build them.
- How big are the units? Obviously you need enough space to fit in all your stuff. But if you don’t need to store a lot of items, it wastes your money if you’re required to get a unit that’s just too big. So there should be a lot of size options available so you can get the exact right size for your stuff.
Quick note: just remember that you also need room to walk around so you can get the items you want quickly and easily!
- Do they offer packing materials? It’s annoying if you have to go to a hardware store for moving boxes and tape. It’s much more convenient if the storage company offers these packing and moving materials as well.
- At what time can you access your items? The best possible answer is if you can open your storage unit at any day and at any time. It shouldn’t matter if it’s past midnight and it’s a holiday. If you need to get to your stuff, you should be able to at any time you want.
- How’s the security? Sometimes you will need to store expensive furniture in places like these, and you may be afraid that someone will steal or vandalize them. So at the very least there should be video security surveillance 24 hours a day.
- Are there climate and humidity controls? Lots of furniture and items like paintings require proper temperature and humidity levels for maintenance. If you have items like these, then you absolutely need storage units that offer climate and humidity controls so you can set the environment that’s ideal for your possessions. With these controls, you may end up with damaged items instead.
- Are there easy to use loading docks? When your moving truck arrives at the self-storage location, it should be easy to transfer your items from the truck into the units. So there should be convenient loading docks that make this possible, and hopefully you can unload your stuff even if it’s raining.
- Is there on-site maintenance? You may want to have your unit cleaned up, especially when you traipse inside with muddy shoes. The storage company should be able to offer maintenance services for such needs.
- Is there on-site management? Sooner or later you’ll have questions, and it helps if there’s an actual person there who can actually help.
Get the answers to these questions and you can easily determine the best self-storage for moving in your area.